Common Name: Thrips
Scientific Family Classification: Thripidae
Species: About 5000 species
- Adults are yellow to brown or black in colour, whereas, light green or yellow
- Have narrow, fringed wings and can leap or fly away.
- The male is slightly smaller and lighter in colour than the female
- Elaborately ornamented with the presence of hexagonal designs, spines, or body flanges.
- Have extensible bladders on the tarsi of the legs
Damage to plants:
- Tomato spotted wilted virus is the virus that is usually spread via thrips.
- Results in formation of scars and distortion of young flowers and fruits
- Spotting appearance on flower
- Leave can dry up entirely if severe infestation
- Green lacewings
- Minute pirate bugs
- Prune infected parts of the plant
- Use blue sticky traps
- Spray with Serbajadi Neem Spray Extra Strength.