Common Name: Scale Insects
Scientific Family Classification: Coccidae
Species: About 8000 species
- Most scale insect have wax covering and are small and inconspicuous.
- Comes in two forms: Soft Scale and Armoured Scale.
- Soft scale are larger than armoured scale and lack protective shell as compared to armoured scale.
- Have 3 or 4 instars in the female and 5 instars in the male.
- Eggs are laid under the shell and the dust-like juveniles disperse from underneath.
Damage to plants:
- Yellowing of leave, stunting of growth and eventually death of infestation is severe.
- Encourages sooty mold to form from honeydew formation
- Prune out infested parts of the plant
- If low in numbers, it can be picked of the plant
- Spray with Serbajadi Neem Spray Extra Strength.