Classification: Foliage house plant
House Plant Group: Baby-bearing plant or spear-leaved plant (depending on variety)
Character: Cultivated as house plants
Safe for pets? Yes
- Asplenium bulbiferum (Mother fern – hen-and-chicken fern)
- Asplenium nidus (Bird’s nest fern)
- Asplenium viviparum
- Temperature: Average warmth
- Light: Need shade
- Water: Planting medium needs to be kept moist (not soggy)
- Repotting: Repot when the roots fill the pot (roughly once a year) with either Serbajadi Organic Peat Moss or Serbajadi Multi-Purpose Compost
- Fertilizer: Serbajadi Plant Food Foliar Growing Supreme 26 Liquid Fertilisers (500ml). Apply fertiliser to moist soil. Please remember, less is more otherwise too much fertilizer will cause more damage than using no fertilizer at all
- Brown dots or lines regularly arranged on underside of fronds: Spores. Nothing to worry about
- Brown shells irregularly scattered on fronds: Scale. Wipe off with a damp cloth/cotton bud and spray with pesticide
- Yellowing fronds, beginning at base of plant. Mature fronds develop brown spots and fall: High temperature or/and incorrect watering
- Yellowing fronds, brown tips. No new growth: Needs more humidity
- Pale fronds, scorch marks on surface: Too much sun
- Pale fronds, weak growth: Need fertilizer
- Fronds dying back: not enough moisture
- Aphelenchoides: Cut off all brown leaves.
- Aphids: Spray the plant with high pressure water followed by Serbajadi Neem Spray Extra Strength
- Spider mites: Wipe off with a damp cloth/cotton bud and spray with Serbajadi Neem Spray Extra Strength. Attack water-stressed plants, so regularly watering (but not over-watering) will prevent attacks.
- Scales: Wipe off with a damp cloth/cotton bud and spray with Serbajadi Neem Spray Extra Strength.